Southwest Montana COAD mtg.Start Date: 03/18/2020
I attended the SW MT COAD teleconference meeting held on Wednesday, March 18, 2020 to represent our organization. Although we are all well aware that our HOPE Canine Teams have been asked to "stand down" at this point in the COVID 19 emergency, I felt it was important to represent HOPE as a valued member for two reasons:
1. I hoped to have an opportunity to directly address to fellow agencies/organizations the reasons for us to "stand down" at this point.
2. And, I believe we have to take this an opportunity for everyone to know that we are still vested in this disaster! We can offer time and support where needed, until such time as we are able to work once again! I want First Responders and community organizations to remember us as a group committed to helping others.
Thus, I have accepted (at least temporarily) to lead the Mental Health, Emotional and Spiritual Team as it is abundantly clear that this segment of our Mass Care Committee (one of many committees within SW MT COAD) is in need of support. This is the Team that HOPE AACR naturally fits within the scope of Mass Care.
If you wish a copy of the minutes, I would be happy to email you the full report. If not, here is an overview:
1. A summary of what Emergency Managers (Greg Coleman from Park County, Patrick Lonergan and Kevin Larsen from Gallatin, and Joe Brumell from Madison County are recognizing and recommending to COAD.
2. Updates on current response efforts being implemented by groups such as 211/Help Center, Greater Gallatin United Way, Child Care Connections, Gallatin Food Bank.
3. Volunteer Management through "VolunteerMT.org" rather than an in-person Volunteer Reception Center
4. Mass Care updates: particularly recognizing the frustration of having to close the Warming Center for our homeless population, what Salvation Army is doing for sack lunches and soon light breakfast food being made available, and the need of child care for working parents especially essential workers.
These are some of the broad topics covered. Please let me know if you have any questions.