HOPE regions typically schedule training workshops once per year. We do require that interested people and their dogs have 12 consecutive months of experience volunteering in animal-assisted activities/therapy with a national therapy group. Dogs are the only animals we accept for screening and training.
Overview of the Certification Program
There are four elements to the HOPE certification training program:
- Informational Open House
- Screening Evaluation
- Certification Training Workshop
- Continuing Education
Information Open House
An Open House gives prospective members a comprehensive overview of HOPE AACR. Prospective members have an opportunity to meet HOPE members and their dogs. We recommend you plan on attending an Open House when available.
Screening evaluations are designed to help qualify handlers and dogs for certification training. A screening consists of an in-depth interview, interactions with HOPE evaluators, obedience skills test, crate test, and a role-play scenario designed to test for crisis response aptitude.
Individuals without dogs go though a similar screening process and are evaluated on their leadership skills and aptitude for assisting canine crisis response teams.
Certification Training Workshop
Our 3-day certification training workshop consists of comprehensive training for essential skills needed for animal-assisted crisis response. Some of the topics taught included:
- History of HOPE AACR and animal-assisted crisis response.
- The nature and spectrum of disasters; HOPE’s roles in responses.
- Learn how to communicate effectively in crisis situations for the purpose of providing comfort to affected people.
- Learn about emergency responders; types of responses; how and when we work with responders.
- Field training in emergency response environments, personnel, & equipment.
- Experience and learn about various modes of travel.
- Learn about the effects of stress on people and what to do.
- Learn how dogs learn, and how they can be effective partners.
- Learn about canine stress, and what to do when stress happens.
- Learn and practice canine desensitizing and counter-conditioning.
- Practice skills by role playing in simulated crises.
Continuing education for our response teams is vital for maintaining skills and readiness. We strive to:
- Reinforce and practice AACR skills to remain response ready.
- Participate in training exercises and drills with other agencies.
- Build cohesive response groups.
- Augment skills with relevant conferences, workshops, and courses.
- Maintain team skills through active participation in an AAT organization.
- We encourage members to volunteer with local emergency response/relief organizations, such as American Red Cross, CERT (Community Emergency Response Teams), FEMA, Etc.
2019 Screening and Workshop Dates and Locations
We will be adding dates and locations as they are scheduled. Please note – teams must pass a screening for an invitation to our workshops. Fill out a Membership Info Request for more information on dates and locations.
CENTRAL GULF COAST REGION
May 30; Katy, TX Central Gulf Coast Screening
May 31 – June 2; Katy, TX Central Gulf Coast Workshop
EASTERN US REGION
March 16; Rockville, MD Eastern Screening
April 7; Binghamton, NY Eastern Screening
May 17-19; Lancaster, PA Eastern Workshop
July 12 -14; Grand Rapids, MI Midwest Screenings
August 16-18; Grand Rapids, MI Midwest Workshop
PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION
April 14; Spokane, WA Pacific Northwest Screenings
May 9; Spokane, WA Pacific Northwest Screenings
June 9; Woodinville, WA Pacific Northwest Screenings
June 22; Salem, OR Pacific Northwest Screenings
August 23-25; Pullman, WA Pacific Northwest Workshop
PACIFIC SOUTHWEST REGION
August 3-4; Dublin, CA Pacific Southwest Screenings
August 10-11; Phoenix, AZ Pacific Southwest Screenings
August 24-25; Tustin, CA Pacific Southwest Screenings
June 22; Salem, OR Pacific Northwest Mountain Screenings
October 18; Tustin, CA Pacific Southwest Screenings
October 19-21; Tustin, CA Pacific Southwest Workshop
ROCKY MOUNTAIN REGION
April 20; Colorado Springs, CO Rocky Mountain Screenings
May 18; Colorado Springs, CO Rocky Mountain Screenings
Date TBD; Location TBD, Montana, Rocky Mountain Screenings
June 28-30; Bozeman, MT Rocky Mountain Workshop
September 12; Atlanta, GA Southeast Screenings